Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry CHRISTmas!



Just wanted to take time out of my busy day to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

I also wanted to share some words of encouragement to all those who may be hurting at this time of year. The same little baby that came so long ago to walk among us, suffered and died to pay the penalty for our sins, and conquered death and rose again to give us new life is the same Jesus that patiently waits to comfort you today.

Some of the moms in our home school group have challenged each other to memorize scripture. We have chosen to memorize Psalm 139. We have already heard some great testimonies of how God used this to bless them or someone close to them. I am taking it slow but still pressing on little by little in hopes to accomplish the whole Psalm. This is not about just memorizing words for the sake of memorizing.

John 1:1-2 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning."

John 1:14 says, "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

it's about taking in God's word and letting it comfort, convict, instruct and heal me from the inside out. His Word can be a balm that heals many wounds.

Although I am only on verse 10 of Psalm 139 several verses have had an impact on me already...

vs. 2 "You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar."

This has encouraged me to get out of bed in the morning and watch how much time I spend sitting at the computer. The perceive my thoughts from afar thing... well that's just down right scary!

vs. 3 "You discern my going out and my lying down you are familiar with all my ways."

He created me and knows all about my joys and my struggles. Not only does he just know these things about me, but he, the God of the universe, takes the time to be familiar with them.

vs. 5 "You hem me in- behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me."

At first glance this verse didn't seem really special to me until I looked the word "hem" up in the dictionary. I wanted to get a clearer picture/understanding of the words meaning. One meaning of the word "hem" is to take cut cloth, bring it together (by folding the fabric) and stitching it together to keep it from unraveling. My God, takes my rough uncut edges that would eventually fall part and brings me in close to Him, pulls me together and keeps me from unraveling. WOW! That is so powerful to me and I'm sure we all can relate to feeling like everything around us is falling apart.

vs. 7-10 "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

I encourage you to turn from your sins (repent) and put your faith in Him, so that you can be forgiven and have eternal life with your creator... the one who guides you and keeps you from unraveling.

Feel free to join us in our challenge to memorize Psalm 139.

No comments: